Government Website icon

The .gov means it's official.
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Padlock icon

The site is secure.
The https:// or lock icon ensures you're safely connected to the website and any information you provide is encrypted.

Publications iconKansas Register

Volume 41 - Issue 22 - June 2, 2022

State of Kansas

Department of Health and Environment

Public Notice

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has prepared a combined Kansas/NPDES Water Pollution Control General Permit for stormwater runoff from construction activities. This permit, when finalized, will replace the existing general permit.

A general wastewater permit is provided for those entities engaged in similar activities and discharging the same types of wastewater. The wastewater from these types of activities has a low public health and environmental risk. A general permit is placed on public notice once during the life of the permit and then is made available, without further public notice, to all persons for construction activities which meet the requirements of the permit. The permittees are also required to meet all other federal, state, and local requirements including local zoning ordinances.

Stormwater runoff from construction activities means the discharge from any conveyance which is used for collecting and conveying stormwater and which is directly related to discharges of stormwater from construction activities (e.g. clearing, grubbing, excavating, grading, etc.) which disturb a cumulative total of one acre or more or that are part of a larger common plan of development or sale which will disturb a cumulative total of one acre or more. The term does not include discharges from facilities or activities excluded or exempted from the Kansas/Federal Water Pollution Control program requirements.

The construction project owner or operator is required to complete and submit the Notice of Intent along with certain project documentation and the first year’s permit fee of $60, and receive a signed and dated authorization from KDHE prior to the start of construction activities. To maintain the permit, the permittee is required to achieve and maintain compliance with the permit requirements and pay the annual permit fee.

Supporting documents include an Executive Summary, Notice of Intent form and instructions, Individual Lot Certification form, a Notice of Termination form, a Notice of Transfer of Ownership form, and Definitions and Acronyms. Copies of these documents may be viewed on the KDHE website at or requested in hard copy by writing: Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Bureau of Water–Technical Services Section, 1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 420, Topeka, KS 66612-1367.

Persons wishing to comment on the draft permit must submit written comments to the above address by July 2, 2022.

Janet Stanek

Doc. No. 050188