Government Website icon

The .gov means it's official.
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Padlock icon

The site is secure.
The https:// or lock icon ensures you're safely connected to the website and any information you provide is encrypted.

Elections iconMilitary and Overseas Citizens

Uniform and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) allows for overseas voting, or federal services voting, for active duty military and family members and individuals, living abroad. To qualify, voters must meet the criteria set out in the Federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. Absentee voters who qualify under this act should apply for a ballot in the county election office in the Kansas County where their residence is located. It is not necessary for qualifying individuals to be registered to vote in the county which they vote (K.S.A. 25-1215).

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) provides a ballot application called the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). Voters who file the application before a primary election will automatically receive a ballot for the general election that year (K.S.A. 25-1216(a)). Although there is no statutory deadline for applications to be submitted, they must be submitted with enough time to allow transmittal time to and from the voter.

How to Participate

  1. Submit a ballot application to the county election office that you consider your residence.
  2. Complete your ballot. Starting 45 days prior to an election, ballots will be sent to all voters with an active federal post card application.
  3. Return your ballot to the county election office by mail, fax, or email.
  4. Verify your ballot was received and counted by contacting your county election office.

Federal Voting Assistance Program Resources