Volume 41 - Issue 11 - March 17, 2022
State of Kansas
Department of Transportation
Notice to Consulting Firms (Cancelled)
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) is seeking a qualified consulting firm or team of firms to perform professional services for the project(s) described in Table 1 below. Interested consultants must email a proposal to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by 12:00 p.m. (CST) March 25, 2022, to be considered for selection.
Interested consulting firms must be prequalified by KDOT or otherwise demonstrate qualification in the following categories: 222 Standard Span Bridge Design; 311 Geotechnical Engineering Services; 312 Materials Laboratory Testing Services.
If a firm is not currently prequalified by KDOT, a proposal may still be submitted. Firms not prequalified must also provide documentation that demonstrates the firm is qualified for each specified category listed in this notice for the project. Firms must use the KDOT prequalification form to provide this documentation. KDOT 1050 Prequalification Category Definitions (Blue Book) can be found at http://www.ksdot.org/descons.asp. Consultants may create a team to meet the prequalification requirements. All firms doing business with KDOT must be registered and in good standing under the laws of the State of Kansas at the time of contracting and must comply with applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
|Table 1: Background and Scope of Project|
|Project Number||Background and Scope of Project|
|KA-6545-01||The overhead sign structures listed below need to be replaced.|
|Table 2: Project Summary|
|Project Number||Serial #||Latitude||Longitude||Route||County||State Ref #|
Anticipated Consultant Scope
KDOT anticipates the following to be included in the consultant’s scope:
- In addition to the overhead sign structure design, the following will need to be considered: geotechnical investigation for the structures, permanent signing, traffic control, and letting and construction phase services. Consultant shall also provide cost estimates bi-annually as we arrive at major project milestones.
Anticipated Schedule and Key Dates
- Proposals are due by or before 12:00 p.m. (CST) March 25, 2022
- The program fiscal year for this project is FY 2023 (July 2022–June 2023). KDOT anticipates letting will occur in January 2023.
Instructions for Proposal
- No cost or pricing information shall be submitted with the proposal. Proposals including cost or pricing information will be considered non-responsive and withdrawn from further consideration.
- The consultant’s proposal must not exceed 4 pages total (including any cover letter, index, etc.)
- A PDF (2MB maximum size) of the proposal must be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by the proposal due date and time.
- The subject line of the email and the PDF file name must read:
- “KA-6545-01–US54.Ridge Rd OH Signs_FIRM NAME”
- The proposal must be accompanied by Special Attachments No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”) and No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”). If you need a Tax Clearance Certificate, you can request one at https://www.ksrevenue.gov/taxclearance.html. Allow 2-3 business days for processing.
- The outline in Table 3 below describes the expected proposal organization and content sections.
- Table 4 lists the evaluation criteria and associated weights which will be used to make a selection.
|Table 3: Proposal Content|
|Section||Description of Intent|
|Cover Letter||1 Page|
|Project Approach||Demonstrate a unique approach to accomplish the design efficiently and to a high standard. Include cost-effective and optimized solutions to address the anticipated improvements in the design. Include unique qualifications or experience related to the project approach.|
|Approach to Schedule||Describe the approach to accomplish the scope of services within the schedule requirements. Include anticipated key milestone dates and availability of staff.|
|Approach to Quality Control||Describe methods or procedures your firm will use to provide all drawings, reports and other services with professional quality and technical accuracy.|
|Qualifications and Experience||For key personnel to be assigned to the project provide names, office location, qualifications, education, training, and expertise. Identify their area(s) of responsibility and percent of their time dedicated to the project. List work for which you do not have in-house capability and name the firm you propose to subcontract with.|
|Past Performance||Describe team’s past performance with respect to ability to meet project schedules; quality of work; and ability to control costs on similar transportation projects, especially those performed for KDOT. Include three references and contact information.|
|Familiarity with KDOT and Project Area||Describe team’s familiarity with KDOT’s design process and standards. Describe familiarity with the project area and any identified special site conditions.|
|Table 4: Evaluation Factors|
|Availability to respond to the work||10%|
|Commitment to meet advertised schedule||10%|
|Approach to quality control||40%|
|Understanding of the project area||10%|
|Understanding of KDOT CAD standards and expectations for deliverables||30%|
Contract Terms and Conditions
A standard KDOT agreement for engineering and technical services will be used for professional services projects. The following special attachments will need to be provided by the selected consultant and all subconsultants with the signed work order following negotiations and will become attachments to the contract.
- Special Attachment No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”)
- Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”)
All questions regarding this request for proposals shall be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov.
Questions can be submitted until March 17, 2022; answers will be provided to all prequalified consultants on March 21, 2022.
Marcia Turner, P.E., Contracts Manager
Division of Engineering and Design
Doc. No. 049920