Government Website icon

The .gov means it's official.
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Padlock icon

The site is secure.
The https:// or lock icon ensures you're safely connected to the website and any information you provide is encrypted.

Publications iconKansas Register

Volume 41 - Issue 8 - February 24, 2022

State of Kansas

Department of Health and Environment

Public Notice

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has prepared a draft combined Kansas/NPDES Water Pollution Control general permit for the discharge of hydrostatic test water from new pipelines and storage tanks, and/or existing pipelines and storage tanks exposed to crude oil and refined petroleum products or natural/liquified petroleum gases or other chemicals.

A general wastewater permit is provided for those entities engaged in similar activities and discharging the same types of wastewater. The wastewater from these types of activities has a low public health and environmental risk. A general permit is placed on public notice once during the life of the permit and then is made available, without further public notice, to entities for activities which meet the requirements of the permit. The permittees are also required to meet all other federal, state, and local requirements. To be covered under the draft permit, the permittee is required to submit the notice of intent and receive a signed and dated permit from KDHE.

The draft permit contains limits for oil and grease, pH and total suspended solids and monitoring for flow and total residual chlorine (if present in the source water) for all discharges plus chemical oxygen demand, naphthalene, and benzene limits for pipelines and storage vessels exposed to petroleum products. In addition, this permit covers hydrotest of pipes/tanks used to transport/store other chemicals. Parameter limits for these other chemicals are based on the Kansas Water Quality Criteria and Federal Regulations.

Copies of the notice of intent application, instructions, draft permit, and other supporting documents may be viewed at the KDHE website at or requested in hard copy by writing Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Bureau of Water–Technical Services Section, 1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 420, Topeka, KS 66612-1367.

Persons wishing to comment on the draft permit must submit written comments to the above address by March 26, 2022.

Janet Stanek
Acting Secretary

Doc. No. 049859