Volume 41 - Issue 5 - February 3, 2022
State of Kansas
Department of Transportation
Notice to Consulting Firms
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) is seeking a qualified consulting firm or team of firms to perform professional services for the project(s) described in Table 1 below. Interested consultants must email a proposal to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by 12:00 p.m. (CST) February 11, 2022, to be considered for selection.
Interested consulting firms/teams must be prequalified by KDOT or otherwise demonstrate qualification in the following Categories: 211 Highway Design–Major Facility; 221 Non-Standard Span Bridge Design; 231 Traffic Control Analysis and Design; and 401 Landscape Seeding and Erosion Control.
If a firm is not currently prequalified by KDOT, a proposal may still be submitted. Firms not prequalified must also provide documentation that demonstrates the firm is qualified for each specified category listed in this notice for the project. Firms must use the KDOT prequalification form to provide this documentation. KDOT 1050 Prequalification category definitions (Blue Book) can be found at http://www.ksdot.org/descons.asp. Consultants may create a team to meet the prequalification requirements. All firms doing business with KDOT must be registered and in good standing under the laws of the State of Kansas at the time of contracting and must comply with applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
|Table 1: Background and Scope of Project|
|Project Number||Background and Scope of Project|
|KA-6508-01||This project is the replacement of the US-40 bridge over the North Fork Smoky Hill River in Logan County.|
|Table 2: Project Summary|
|Project Number||Route and Scope||Length (mi)||Project Location|
|N/A||8.39 miles east of the Wallace/Logan County line|
|Project Number||Structures BR#, Structure Scope, Structure Size and Type|
Replacement; Existing Length: 470.5 ft, Type: RDGH
Anticipated Consultant Scope
KDOT anticipates consultant’s scope associated with this request for proposals will begin at preliminary design and continue through final design. Scope may also include environmental documentation preparation (permitting) and letting and construction phase services. No discovery phase services will be required.
Current expectations for consultant scope and what will be provided by KDOT are detailed below. The scope included herein may not be all-inclusive. A scoping meeting will take place after consultant selection is made.
- Develop and communicate Project Management Plan and Quality Assurance Plan.
- Perform quality control checks according to Quality Assurance Plan.
- Provide electronic plan files compliant with KDOT Graphic Standards Manual, including CAD conformance checks and ControlCAD indexed DGN files with ProjectWise attributes.
- Provide bi-annual construction cost estimates and at major project milestones.
- Develop preliminary plans to field check.
- Develop final plans for construction.
- Perform roadway geometric design, drainage design, interchange analysis, and roadside safety analysis.
- Visit the project site location.
- Develop preliminary plans for replacement of Bridge 55-055 carrying US-40 over the North Fork Smoky Hill River, including hydraulic analysis.
- Due to the non-redundant nature of the existing bridge, the proposed bridge cannot be built using phased construction.
- Develop final plans for construction.
- Traffic Control Plans: This project will require a shoofly detour to carry traffic around construction.
- Coordination with the local government and KDOT office.
- Develop permanent signing and pavement marking plans.
Activities to be performed by KDOT include:
- Engineering survey.
- Environmental services, including lead paint testing and permit application.
- Note: Technical data to support these activities will be required from the consultant immediately after field check.
- Permits will include NPDES – Storm Water Runoff Permit in which KDOT will require from consultant:
- Total project site area in acres
- Total disturbed area in acres (from seeding plans)
- Impervious area in square feet (existing and proposed)
- Above information needs to be provided by consultant (90) days prior to letting
- Utility coordination, if required.
- Geotechnical services including soil investigations, bridge foundation geology, pavement field investigation and design, and surfacing recommendations.
Anticipated Schedule and Key Dates
- Proposals are due by or before 12:00 p.m. (CST) February 11, 2022
- The program fiscal year for this project is FY 2026 (July 2026–June 2027)
- Other important dates:
- PLNMR January 16, 2023
- FDCHK October 17, 2023
- PLROW January 1, 2024
- PLNTE November 18, 2024
- PLCOM July 21, 2025
Instructions for Proposal
- No cost or pricing information shall be submitted with the proposal. Proposals including cost or pricing information will be considered non-responsive and withdrawn from further consideration.
- The consultant’s proposal must not exceed 4 pages total (including any cover letter, index, etc.)
- A PDF (2MB maximum size) of the proposal must be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by the proposal due date and time.
- The subject line of the email and the PDF file name must read:
- “KA-6508-01–Replace BR005 on US-40 in Logan Co_FIRM NAME”
- The proposal must be accompanied by Special Attachments No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”) and No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”). If you need a Tax Clearance Certificate, you can request one at https://www.ksrevenue.gov/taxclearance.html. Allow 2-3 business days for processing.
- The outline in Table 3 below describes the expected proposal organization and content sections.
- Table 4 lists the evaluation criteria and associated weights which will be used to make a selection.
|Table 3: Proposal Content|
|Section||Description of Intent|
|Cover Letter||1 Page|
|Project Approach||Demonstrate a unique approach to accomplish the design efficiently and to a high standard. Include cost-effective and optimized solutions to address the anticipated improvements in the design. Include unique qualifications or experience related to the project approach.|
|Approach to Schedule||Describe the approach to accomplish the scope of services within the schedule requirements. Include anticipated key milestone dates and availability of staff.|
|Approach to Quality Control||Describe methods or procedures your firm will use to provide all drawings, reports and other services with professional quality and technical accuracy.|
|Qualifications and Experience||For key personnel to be assigned to the project provide names, office location, qualifications, education, training, and expertise. Identify their area(s) of responsibility and percent of their time dedicated to the project. List work for which you do not have in-house capability and name the firm you propose to subcontract with.|
|Past Performance||Describe team’s past performance with respect to ability to meet project schedules; quality of work; and ability to control costs on similar transportation projects, especially those performed for KDOT. Include three references and contact information.|
|Familiarity with KDOT and Project Area||Describe team’s familiarity with KDOT’s design process and standards. Describe familiarity with the project area and any identified special site conditions.|
|Table 4: Evaluation Factors|
|The quality and completeness of the response||10%|
|Qualifications and experience of Project Manager and other key project team members proposed for services||15%|
|Past performance history for similar projects/services for KDOT||25%|
|Commitment to meet advertised schedule||25%|
|Approach to quality control||15%|
|Understanding of KDOT Technical Policies||10%|
Contract Terms and Conditions
A standard KDOT agreement for engineering and technical services will be used for professional services projects. The following special attachments will need to be provided by the selected consultant and all subconsultants with the signed work order following negotiations and will become attachments to the contract.
- Special Attachment No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”)
- Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”)
All questions regarding this request for proposals shall be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov.
Questions can be submitted until February 4, 2022; answers will be provided to all prequalified consultants on February 7, 2022.
Marcia Turner, P.E., Contracts Manager
Division of Engineering and Design
Doc. No. 049778