Volume 41 - Issue 3 - January 20, 2022
State of Kansas
Department of Transportation
Notice to Consulting Firms
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) is seeking a qualified consulting firm or team of firms to perform professional services for the project(s) described in Table 1 below. Interested consultants must email a letter of interest to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by 12:00 p.m. (CST) February 4, 2022, to be considered for selection.
Interested consulting firms must be prequalified by KDOT or otherwise demonstrate qualification in the following Categories: 211 Highway Design–Major Facility; 221 Non-Standard Span Bridge Design; 231 Traffic Control Analysis and Design; 301 Land Surveying; 302 Engineering Surveying; 321 Bridge Structural Analysis; 336 Right of Way Services; and 401 Landscape Seeding and Erosion Control.
If a firm is not currently prequalified by KDOT, a proposal may still be submitted. Firms not prequalified must also provide documentation that demonstrates the firm is qualified for each specified category listed in this notice for the project. Firms must use the KDOT prequalification form to provide this documentation. KDOT 1050 Prequalification category definitions (Blue Book) can be found at http://www.ksdot.org/descons.asp. Consultants may create a team to meet the prequalification requirements. All firms doing business with KDOT must be registered and in good standing under the laws of the State of Kansas at the time of contracting and must comply with applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
|Table 1: Background and Scope of Project|
|Project Number||Background and Scope of Project|
|KA-6518-01||This project is the replacement of the northbound and southbound bridges (No. 094 and Bridge No. 095) on I-235 in Sedgwick County.|
|Table 2: Project Summary|
|Project Number||Route and Scope||Length (mi)||Project Termini|
Grading and Surfacing, Bridge Replacement
|0.379||2000 feet south and 2000 feet north of Bridge No. 094 and No. 095|
|Project Number||Structures BR#, Structure Scope, Structure Size and Type|
Replacement; Length: 864.44 feet, Width: 134.51 feet; Existing structure is reinforced concrete, voided slab, continuous
Replacement; Length: 864.44 feet, Width: 98.43 feet; Existing structure is reinforced concrete, voided slab, continuous
Anticipated Consultant Scope
KDOT anticipates the following to be included in the consultant’s scope: Survey services; discovery phase services; railroad involvement and coordination for railroad approval; right of way services; preliminary design services through field check; and 3D electronic deliverables preparation. Final design services may be added at a later date and at KDOT secretary’s discretion.
During discovery phase, consultant shall analyze interchange options: acceleration and deceleration lengths, ramp geometry, vertical clearance, and possible grade raise. Coordination with the City of Wichita and the Kansas & Oklahoma Railroad (KORR) will be required throughout the phases. Consultant shall analyze right-of-way and utility impacts.
Current expectations for consultant scope and what will be provided by KDOT are detailed below. The scope included herein may not be all-inclusive. A scoping meeting will take place after consultant selection is made.
- Develop and communicate project management plan and quality assurance plan.
- Perform quality control checks according to quality assurance plan.
- Provide electronic plan files compliant with KDOT Graphic Standards Manual, including CAD conformance checks and ControlCAD indexed DGN files with ProjectWise attributes.
- Provide bi-annual construction cost estimates and at major project milestones.
- Discovery phase.
- Building of the existing right of way.
- Develop preliminary plans to field check.
- Perform roadway geometric design, drainage design, interchange analysis, and roadside safety analysis.
Survey and Right of Way
- Provide a full survey including structures in the existing right of way. The deliverables shall incorporate the full project including the roadway and bridge surveys and will be provided in the Kansas Regional Coordinate System.
- Establish and determine impacts to right of way and utilities.
- Based upon consultant’s field survey data and historical KDOT project information, consultant shall establish and compile into a right of way strip map the positions and locations of the existing highway right of way and property lines for the ownership adjacent thereto. Consultant shall perform these activities using coordinate geometry and Bentley Open Site Designer.
- Visit the project site location.
- The consultant will propose and evaluate different (curved and possibly skewed) framing layouts for review and acceptance by the KDOT Bridge office. Focus shall be to minimize disruption to the site and facilitate efficient construction to minimize traffic impacts on I-235.
- The vertical geometry of the proposed structure will need to meet current standards to provide adequate vertical clearance for Zoo Boulevard and the KORR below.
- Develop preliminary plans to field check for the replacement of Bridges #094 and #095, carrying the northbound and southbound I-235 traffic ramp over Zoo Boulevard in Sedgwick County.
- Railroad coordination submittals A (initial concept, preferred alternate for final design) and B (30% plans to railroad).
- Development of traffic management plan, including coordination with the local government and KDOT Metro office. Coordinate with local government improvement projects.
- Develop permanent signing and pavement marking plans.
- Develop traffic control plans.
Activities to be performed by KDOT include:
- Environmental services, including asbestos and/or lead testing and permit application.
- Note: Technical data to support these activities will be required from the consultant immediately after field check.
- Permits will include NPDES – Storm Water Runoff Permit in which KDOT will require from consultant:
- Total project site area in acres.
- Total disturbed area in acres (from seeding plans).
- Impervious area in square feet (existing and proposed).
- Above information needs to be provided by consultant (90) days prior to letting.
- Utility coordination, if required.
- Geotechnical Services including soil investigations, bridge foundation geology, pavement field investigation and design, and surfacing recommendations.
Anticipated Schedule and Key Dates
- Proposals are due by or before 12:00 p.m. (CST) February 4, 2022
- The program fiscal year for this project is FY 2026 (July 2026–June 2027)
- Other important dates:
- M29 Suryc: July 6, 2023
- C82 Plnmr: December 4, 2023
- C90 Plans4rr: December 7, 2023
- C29 Fdchk: June 18, 2024
- C57 Plrow: July 31, 2024
- C84 Plnte: May 19, 2025
- C56 Plcom: January 19, 2026
Instructions for Proposal
- No cost or pricing information shall be submitted with the proposal. Proposals including cost or pricing information will be considered non-responsive and withdrawn from further consideration.
- The consultant’s proposal must not exceed 4 pages total (including any cover letter, index, etc.)
- A PDF (2MB maximum size) of the proposal must be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by the proposal due date and time.
- The subject line of the email and the PDF file name must read:
- “KA-6518-01–Replace BR094, BR095 on I-235 in Sedgwick Co_FIRM NAME”
- The proposal must be accompanied by Special Attachments No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”) and No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”). If you need a Tax Clearance Certificate, you can request one at https://www.ksrevenue.gov/taxclearance.html. Allow 2-3 business days for processing.
- The outline in Table 3 below describes the expected proposal organization and content sections.
- Table 4 lists the evaluation criteria and associated weights which will be used to make a selection.
|Table 3: Proposal Content|
|Section||Description of Intent|
|Cover Letter||1 page|
|Project Approach||Demonstrate a unique approach to accomplish the design efficiently and to a high standard. Include cost-effective and optimized solutions to address the anticipated improvements in the design. Include unique qualifications or experience related to the project approach.|
|Approach to Schedule||Describe the approach to accomplish the scope of services within the schedule requirements. Include anticipated key milestone dates and availability of staff.|
|Approach to Quality Control||Describe methods or procedures your firm will use to provide all drawings, reports and other services with professional quality and technical accuracy.|
|Qualifications and Experience||For key personnel to be assigned to the project provide names, office location, qualifications, education, training, and expertise. Identify their area(s) of responsibility and percent of their time dedicated to the project. List work for which you do not have in-house capability and name the firm you propose to subcontract with.|
|Past Performance||Describe team’s past performance with respect to ability to meet project schedules; quality of work; and ability to control costs on similar transportation projects, especially those performed for KDOT. Include three references and contact information.|
|Familiarity with KDOT and Project Area||Describe team’s familiarity with KDOT’s design process and standards. Describe familiarity with the project area and any identified special site conditions.|
|Table 4: Evaluation Factors|
|Qualifications and experience of project manager and other key project team members proposed for services||10%|
|Past performance history for similar projects/services for KDOT||20%|
|Commitment to meet advertised schedule||20%|
|Approach to quality control||10%|
|Approach to coordination with the railroad and KDOT Coordinating Section||20%|
|Understanding of KDOT CAD standards and expectations for deliverables||10%|
|Demonstrated understanding of nature and scope of project||10%|
Contract Terms and Conditions
A standard KDOT agreement for engineering and technical services will be used for professional services projects. The following special attachments will need to be provided by the selected consultant and all subconsultants with the signed work order following negotiations and will become attachments to the contract.
- Special Attachment No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”)
- Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”)
All questions regarding this request for proposals shall be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov.
Questions can be submitted until January 28, 2022; answers will be provided to all prequalified consultants on January 31, 2022.
Marcia Turner, P.E., Contracts Manager
Division of Engineering and Design
Doc. No. 049758