Volume 41 - Issue 3 - January 20, 2022
State of Kansas
Department of Transportation
Notice to Consulting Firms
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) is seeking a qualified consulting firm or team of firms to perform professional services for the project(s) described in Table 1 below. Interested consultants must email a letter of interest to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by 12:00 p.m. (CST) January 28, 2022 to be considered for selection.
Interested consulting firms must be prequalified by KDOT or otherwise demonstrate qualification in the following Categories: 211 Highway Design–Major Facility; 222 Standard Span Bridge Design; 231 Traffic Control Analysis and Design; 302 Engineering Surveying; 325 Hydraulic and Hydrologic Studies; and 401 Landscape Seeding and Erosion Control.
If a firm is not currently prequalified by KDOT, a proposal may still be submitted. Firms not prequalified must also provide documentation that demonstrates the firm is qualified for each specified category listed in this notice for the project. Firms must use the KDOT prequalification form to provide this documentation. KDOT 1050 Prequalification category definitions (Blue Book) can be found at http://www.ksdot.org/descons.asp. Consultants may create a team to meet the prequalification requirements. All firms doing business with KDOT must be registered and in good standing under the laws of the State of Kansas at the time of contracting and must comply with applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
|Table 1: Background and Scope of Project|
|Project Number||Background and Scope of Project|
|KA-0161-05||This bridge replacement will improve the bridge on US-54 over the Wichita Flood Canal, 0.20 miles east of Hoover Road. The proposed improvements will follow the Gold Phase Bridges 805 and 806. The -02 phase laid out the full reconstruction to Field Check. The first major phase of construction was the -04 phase. The full build-out includes replacing the existing bridge with twin bridges to increase the number of lanes on US-54 (Kellogg).|
|Table 2: Project Summary|
|Project Number||Route-County and Scope||Length||Project Termini|
This is a bridge replacement on US-54 that will follow the recommendations from the previous US 54 Gold Phase KA-0161-05. This project will involve a traffic management plan, and involvement with the City of Wichita as well as the public.
|1000 ft||Wichita Flood Control Canal|
|Project Number||Structures BR#, Structure Scope, Structure Size and Type|
|KA-0161-05||BR#087-132, Replacement, 473 ft long, SWGC (existing)|
Anticipated Consultant Scope
KDOT anticipates the following to be included in the consultant’s scope:
- Preliminary design services
- Final design services
- Public involvement services
- Environmental documentation preparation (Permitting)
- Letting and construction phase services
- 3D electronic deliverables preparation
As stated in the project background and scope, the purpose of this effort is replacement of Bridge #132. Hydraulic design is required over the canal (FEMA FLOODWAY). A no-rise condition must be met. KDOT will consider Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) methods. KDOT also may consider reusing the existing foundations and piers (which were built in 1971). The scope of services to be performed by the selected design consultant shall include traffic engineering, hydrology/hydraulics, designer construction services, and permitting assistance.
A traffic management plan will need to be developed. KDOT is keen to hear from consultant innovative ways to handle closures/detours and is interested in considering alternatives. Coordination with the City of Wichita and the public will also be needed.
Cost estimates shall be provided biannually.
Consultant shall review the existing survey and check for updates of utilities and any topo that needs to be re-shot.
Anticipated Schedule and Key Dates
- Proposals are due by or before 12:00 p.m. (CST) January 28, 2022.
- The program fiscal year for this project is FY 2026 (July 2026 – June 2027).
- Other important dates: PLMR January 13, 2023; FDCHK September 14, 2023; PLROW October 27, 2023; PLNTE July 15, 2024; PLCOM March 17, 2025.
Instructions for Proposal
- No cost or pricing information shall be submitted with the proposal. Proposals including cost or pricing information will be considered non-responsive and withdrawn from further consideration.
- The consultant’s proposal must not exceed four pages total (including any cover letter, index, etc.)
- A PDF (2MB maximum size) of the proposal must be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by the proposal due date and time.
- The subject line of the email and the PDF file name must read:
- “KA-0161-05_ReplBR132 on US54_FIRM NAME”
- The proposal must be accompanied by Special Attachments No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”) and No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”). If you need a Tax Clearance Certificate, you can request one at https://www.ksrevenue.gov/taxclearance.html. Allow 2-3 business days for processing.
- The outline in Table 3 below describes the expected proposal organization and content sections.
- Table 4 lists the evaluation criteria and associated weights which will be used to make a selection.
|Table 3: Proposal Content 054-087 KA-0161-05–Replacement of Bridge #132 on US-54 In Sedgwick County|
|Section||Description of Intent|
|Cover Letter||(no more than 1 page)|
|Project Approach||Demonstrate a unique approach to accomplish the design efficiently and to a high standard. Include cost-effective and optimized solutions to address the anticipated improvements in the design. Include unique qualifications or experience related to the project approach.|
|Approach to Schedule||Describe the approach to accomplish the scope of services within the schedule requirements. Include anticipated key milestone dates and availability of staff.|
|Approach to Quality Control||Describe methods or procedures your firm will use to provide all drawings, reports and other services with professional quality and technical accuracy.|
|Qualifications and Experience||For key personnel to be assigned to the project provide names, office location, qualifications, education, training, and expertise. Identify their area(s) of responsibility and percent of their time dedicated to the project. List work for which you do not have in-house capability and name the firm you propose to subcontract with.|
|Past Performance||Describe team’s past performance with respect to ability to meet project schedules; quality of work; and ability to control costs on similar transportation projects, especially those performed for KDOT. Include three references and contact information.|
|Familiarity with KDOT and Project Area||Describe team’s familiarity with KDOT’s design process and standards. Describe familiarity with the project area and any identified special site conditions.|
|Table 4: Evaluation Factors|
|Qualifications and experience of project manager and other key project team members proposed for services||25%|
|Past performance history for similar projects/services for KDOT||25%|
|Understanding of the project area||25%|
|Demonstrated understanding of nature and scope of project and innovation/ creativity in solutions||25%|
Contract Terms and Conditions
A standard KDOT agreement for engineering and technical services will be used for professional services projects. The following special attachments will need to be provided by the selected consultant and all subconsultants with the signed work order following negotiations and will become attachments to the contract.
- Special Attachment No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”)
- Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”)
All questions regarding this request for proposals shall be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov.
Questions can be submitted until January 21, 2022; answers will be provided to all prequalified consultants on January 24, 2022.
Marcia Turner, P.E., Contracts Manager
Engineering and Design
Doc. No. 049717