Government Website icon

The .gov means it's official.
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Padlock icon

The site is secure.
The https:// or lock icon ensures you're safely connected to the website and any information you provide is encrypted.

Elections iconVoter Information

In Kansas, the primary election is held on the first Tuesday in August of even numbered years for Democratic and Republican candidates. The general election is the Tuesday following the first Monday in November. Pursuant to state law, municipal elections are held at the same time in odd numbered years. Please note, most municipal jurisdictions do not have primary elections as the rules for conducting a primary election are different for municipalities. Minor party candidates do not participate in the primary and are, instead, nominated at state party conventions. Independent candidates file by petition.

State law requires polling places to open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 7:00 p.m. on election day. State law allow counties to open polling locations as early as 6:00 a.m. and close as late as 8:00 p.m. Pursuant to K.S.A. 25-106 polling locations must be open for at least 12 consecutive hours. Please verify the operating hours in your county with your local election officer.

Register to Vote

To register to vote online, you must have a valid Kansas driver's license or non-driver's identification card. Individuals must register to vote using a paper application if they do not have a Kansas driver’s license or non-driver’s identification card. You MUST re-register each time you change your name, address, or party affiliation for voting. Please allow time for processing. Once complete, your county election officer will confirm your registration is complete or provide notice that further action is necessary.

Photo ID Requirements

State law requires Kansas voters to show photographic identification when casting a vote in person. The following documents may be used to meet photo ID requirements for voting:

  • Driver’s license or ID card issued by Kansas or another state
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Military ID
  • ID card issued by a Native American tribe
  • Employee badge or ID issued by a government office
  • Student ID card from an accredited postsecondary education institution in Kansas
  • Concealed carry license issued by Kansas or another state
  • Public assistance ID card issued by a government office

Exemptions from photo ID requirements exist for: permanent advance voters (voters with illness or disabilities); military and overseas voters and their spouses and dependents; and voter with religious objections who sign a Declaration of Religious Objection (Form DRO (Español)). Voters age 65 or older may use an expired photo ID.

Frequently Asked Questions About Photo ID

Advance Voting - In Person

Kansas allows voters to advance vote in person at county election offices or satellite voting locations up to 20 days before an election. For the 2024 election, counties may begin in-person advancing voting on July 17 for the primary election and October 16 for the general election. The deadline for in-person advance voting is 12:00 p.m. August 5, 2024 for the primary election and 12:00 p.m. November 4, 2024 for the general election. Voters are encouraged to contact their local election office to confirm advance voting dates and locations for their respective county. The Secretary of State’s office will also provide this information in July and October prior to each election.

Individuals who vote in person at the county election office or at a satellite location must show photographic identification. If an advance voter does not provide identification, or if the information is not valid, the county election officer may issue a provisional ballot to the voter. The provisional ballot will not be considered valid until the voter submits their photographic identification to before the county canvass.

Frequently Asked Questions About Advance Voting

Advance Voting - By Mail

Voters are allowed to vote by mail prior to election day in the state of Kansas. In order to do so, you must complete an application for an advance ballot and include your driver’s license number or a copy of your photo identification. The deadline to submit advance voting applications to your county election official is July 30 for the 2024 primary election and October 29 for the 2024 general election. Ballots will be mailed to those who apply beginning July 17 for the 2024 primary election and October 16 for the 2024 general election. All ballots MUST be postmarked on or before election day and received in the county election office by the close of business on the third business day following the election.

Frequently Asked Questions About Advance Voting

Voter Accessibility

Federal and State law require the election process be accessible to all voters. If you feel your voting rights have been compromised or violated, please contact the Office of Secretary of State at 800-262-VOTE(8683).

  • Ballot Accessibility: Each polling place must have a minimum of one fully accessible, HAVA compliant voting machine that allows voters with disabilities to vote independently. Disabled voters may request assistance from a friend, family member or companion or seek assistance from a worker at a polling location.
  • Polling Place Accessibility: Polling places are public accommodations and must be accessible for all voters. The federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) checklist is used to ensure polling places are accessible. K.S.A. 25-2710 further establishes standards of accessibility for polling places to include the requirements of ramps and handrails, wheelchair accessible voting booths and wheelchair friendly doorways.
  • English as a Second Language: If more than five percent of a county’s residents who are of voting age include members of a single-language minority group do not speak or understand English adequately to comfortably participate in the electoral process, alternative language assistance is provided through printed materials and language outreach. Currently, five counties in Kansas provide required alternative language assistance – Finney, Ford, Grant, Haskell and Seward Counties.

File a HAVA Administrative Complaint

K.S.A. 25-4701 through 25-4716 summarizes the administrative complaint procedure for individuals who believe there has been a violation of Title III of HAVA in Kansas. The complaint must be in writing and signed under oath by the person filing the complaint using the administrative complaint form. A complaint must be filed within 30 days after the incident in which the basis for the complaint occurred. For ongoing or planned violations, complaints should be filed as soon as possible. Upon receipt of the complaint, the Secretary of State will mail a copy of the complaint to the state or local election officer against whom the complaint is filed. If against the Secretary of State, the complaint will be directed to the Kansas Department of Administration for review and possible action.

Complaints should be sent to:

Office of Secretary of State
Memorial Hall
120 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1594