The Kansas Secretary of State issues apostilles and authentications for Kansas documents.
An Apostille verifies the seal and signature of public officials and notaries on a state-issued document which enables the document to be recognized in foreign countries that are members of the 1961 Hague Convention Treaty.
An Authentication verifies the seal and signature of public officials and notaries on a state-issued document which enables the document to be recognized in countries that are not members of the 1961 Hague Convention Treaty.
An apostille or authentication may be obtained for the following documents:
- Kansas birth certificates
- Kansas marriage certificates
- Kansas death certificates
- Kansas divorce decrees
- Diplomas from Kansas schools (may require notarization by a Kansas notary)
- Judgments from a Kansas court (signature of a court official must be on file with the Kansas Secretary of State's office)
- Other documents issued by a public authority or notarized by a Kansas notary
A certified copy of a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, or death certificate can be obtained through the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics. Other documents may be obtained through the agency or court that issued the documents.
A state-issued document with an apostille or authentication from the Kansas Secretary of State does not require additional certification by the U.S. Department of State or legalization by a U.S. embassy or consulate overseas to be recognized in a country that is a member of the 1961 Hague Convention Treaty. The U.S. Department of State will not issue an apostille for state-issued documents.
To obtain an apostille or authentication submit the following to the Kansas Secretary of State at the address below:
- Completed Form DC.
- The original document or a certified copy of the document for which an apostille or authentication is needed.
- Payment of $7.50 for each document for which an apostille or authentication is needed.
- Mail or deliver to:
Kansas Secretary of State
Memorial Hall, 1st Floor
120 SW 10th, Room 100
Topeka, Kansas 66612
The Secretary of State will return the document along with the attached apostille or authentication by US mail. To receive return documents by FedEx, please complete Question 7 on Form DC and include credit card payment information.